For many years crystals have been part of my spiritual practice and everyday life. Here’s how to use crystals.
When I collaborated with my dear friend Satya to create Spirit Junkie jewelry, we were very deliberate about the stones we chose for each piece. The Spirit Junkie pendant has white topaz to help cultivate a strong sense of individuality, creativity and awareness. The Unconditional Love mala has rose quartz for unconditional love and rhodonite to support healing and inner growth.
I want to support anyone who is interested in incorporating crystals into their spiritual practice and daily life, so I called up Heather Askinosie and Timmi Jandro, the founders of Energy Muse. They gave me the lowdown on all things crystals!
Heather and Timmi started Energy Muse 17 years ago by selling pendants out of the trunk of a car in Manhattan Beach, California. Their first product was the jade Prosperity Necklace, which they gave to 10 different people, who all experienced awesome results in 10 days.
Since then their business has blown up! They even have a beautiful book called Crystal Muse.
Whether you want to start working with crystals or already have a collection, keep reading for a simple guide to crystals!
A little background: Humans have been using crystals forever
These days we use crystals in all kinds of ways, including for their very practical purposes. Think silicon dioxide in computer chips, rubies in lasers, and LCD (liquid crystal display) TV screens.
Since the very earliest civilizations, people have used crystals in everyday life as well as for healing. Egyptians ground up malachite for eye shadow and were often buried with quartz on their foreheads. People in ancient China were mining jade as early as 6,000 BC. Gemstones play a big role in Ayurveda, with certain stones used to balance the doshas, or constitutions.
Crystals are earth tools and require your cooperation
Let’s demystify the idea of how crystals work and shift how we think about them!
“Crystals are earth tools. They help our human brain, which has limitations. A crystal holds the invisible world of energy in a way humans can touch and feel,” Heather says.
Just like with every other part of your spiritual practice, working with crystals requires your participation. You are a co-creator.
What kind of crystal should you get?
It’s easy to get caught up in the symbolism of every crystal and obsessed with finding the “perfect” one. Instead of getting super analytical and overwhelmed, take a few moments to connect with your inner guide by silently asking for guidance.
Then honor your feelings. If you’re in a store, touch and feel the stones. Which ones feel good? Which are you drawn to?
“You will know what you’re attracted to,” Heather says. “The No. 1 thing is trust yourself.”
If you’re shopping online, simply let yourself gaze at the different options, read the descriptions and see what pops out to you.
“Crystals help us get out of our head and get into our heart space,” Heather says. “Instead of asking ‘What do I think I need for myself?’ ask simply ‘What do I feel?’”
11 popular crystals you should know
Quartz: One of the master crystal stones and one of the main components of our Earth’s crust. It brings clarity, strengthens your intentions and helps you reprogram at the cellular level.
Citrine: This yellow stone is big on positive vibes! It can help you choose happiness and manifest your intentions. Citrine also has a reputation for being a money stone and a wealth magnet.
Shungite: This stone is having a moment! It’s used to neutralize electromagnetic frequencies, absorb negative energy and detoxify the body. Shungite is about 2 billion years old and is powerful to wear on your body.
Selenite: A white stone that helps clear your energy. It’s known as liquid light because it vibrates with a flow of bright, positive energy.
Blue lace agate: Helps release anxiety. Helps you communicate clearly and speak your truth from a compassionate place.
Black tourmaline and smoky quartz: These minerals help us release our shadow sides so we can move to higher planes. These darker stones are our foundation. Black tourmaline soothes anxiety and absorbs negative energy, while smoky quartz is both grounding and uplifting.
Jade: Amps up your manifesting power! Jade is a stone of luck, prosperity and wisdom.
Onyx: Black onyx is very protective. Wear it to shield your mind and body from negative energy and to calm fears.
How to clean and charge your crystals
Crystals are such powerful energy conduits that they will store energy from everyone they come into contact with. Keeping your crystals clean resets their energy.
Clean your crystals, including jewelry, when you first bring them home. This clears away any energy they’ve stored while coming into contact with people who handled them before you. Then clean your crystals regularly to purify them and keep the conduit clear!
Easy ways to clean your crystal
- Bathe it in sunlight or moonlight. Set your crystal outside for 4 to 24 hours. Full sunlight and the full moon are particularly powerful, but any light bath is purifying.
- Immerse it in sacred smoke. Light a sage smudge stick and gently hold your crystal in the purifying smoke. Open a window so the energy can recycle into the atmosphere. Be sure you use sage safely.
- Connect it with nature. This allows your crystal to reset with the vibration of the earth! Take your crystal outside and set it in soil for 24 hours, or hang it on the branches of a healthy houseplant for 24 hours.
- Rest it on selenite or quartz. Both selenite and quartz can charge other crystals without losing any of their own energy! Set your crystal on a piece of one or both for several hours.
How to use healing crystals
Once you’ve cleaned a new crystal, give it a job! Simply hold your crystal, quiet your mind with a minute of meditation and share your intention for it. Your intention is a prayer.
You can give your crystal any intention that feels right to you. “If you have a piece of rose quartz, you hold it and you might say: ‘I’d like to have this crystal hold the energy of light and love,’” Heather says. Each time you clean your crystal, reset your intention to strengthen your connection to it.
There are tons of ways you can use crystals in your daily life, from simple actions to more elaborate rituals.
Here are a few ways to work with a crystal:
- Set up an altar where you can pray, meditate, surrender desires and connect with the Universe. My altar is a holy place in my home where I pray and meditate. It holds space for my dreams and visions. Check out my altar for inspiration in creating your own!
- Carry it in your purse or pocket, or wear it daily (if it’s jewelry) to be aware of its energy and harness it. For example, an onyx amulet will protect your energy, while wearing blue lace agate near your neck helps open your throat chakra so you can speak confidently and clearly. Carry or wear citrine to boost your mood and your manifesting power.
- Clear your aura with selenite! Stand and hold a piece of selenite in your hand, moving it from your head to your feet to remove and recycle negative energy and restore positive vibrations.
- Meditate while holding clear quartz. This super-ancient stone amplifies your intentions.
- Keep amethyst on your nightstand or dresser. It calms the energy of a room and reinforces your inner strength. It can also help you go deeper in a meditation.
- Set up a crystal grid or balance/open your chakras with healing stones.
This is just scratching the surface when it comes to crystals! I want to know how you use crystals and which ones are your favorites. Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts. I’m super psyched to see what you have to say!