I almost didn’t write my first book.
I knew I had an awesome spiritual message to share. And as a seasoned PR rep, I knew exactly how to pitch it. Before long, a publisher was handing me a generous advance for Add More ~ing to Your Life: A Hip Guide to Happiness.
I was STOKED … And then I became paralyzed with fear.
Sound familiar? Today’s episode of Dear Gabby is all about how to silence your inner critic—and I’m so excited to teach you these tips!
“Who are you to write a book?” my inner critic said. “Aren’t you the one whose seventh-grade teacher called her stupid? You’ve got to send that money back.”
There was that old story again, trying to stop me in my tracks right before I set off on an incredible journey.
Except this time, the inner critic didn’t win. Using my spiritual practices, I soothed that voice and rewrote my own inner dialog. And needless to say … I wrote that book!
That book, and the eight others I’ve written since, have gone on to literally save lives.
And had I listened to the voice of fear, none of it would have happened.
Learning to overcome your inner critic is a major theme of today’s Big Talk. In this epic episode of Dear Gabby, I sit down with Mel Robbins. Her latest book, The High 5 Habit, is sparking a worldwide movement of self-love, self-confidence and empowerment.
Not to mention …. daily high-fives.
a life-changing morning practice
Mel’s awesome new book is all about a simple morning routine that can actually rewire your brain to overcome your inner critic for good.
And it takes less than five seconds!
Mel and I also got candid about our shared history of trauma, and how we healed after enduring deep, debilitating pain. You can rewrite your story too, and in this episode we’ll lay out a path to guide you home to yourself.
listen to this episode to hear:
- How to shift your perspective to turn anxiety into excitement
- My awesome method for feeling empowered and authentic every day
- How to silence your inner critic for good
- The sneaky habit that leads to self-rejection and doubt (SO many of us do this without even realizing it!)
- Why regulating your nervous system is KEY to changing how you see yourself …. and a beautiful story about how Mel “smoothed out” hers
a gorgeous calming technique
I use a very similar calming technique myself, and it’s saved me on some of the darkest days of my life.
Try this with me now.
Put your hands right on the center of your chest and take a deep breath. Say silently or out loud: I’m okay. I’m safe. I’m loved.
Keep saying these loving words to yourself until you feel a sense of deep peace wash over you.
^^Think of this practice as a gift from you to your heart. You can access it any time!
As Mel tells me in this Big Talk, her mission is to “give people the ability to flip a switch inside themselves and let the light back in.”
High five to THAT!
get more gabby
The following are helpful resources I mention in the episode.
- Mel Robbins is one of the most booked speakers in the world, and it’s no wonder! She has an incredible knack for developing methods that will change your life in five seconds flat. Her bestselling book The 5 Second Rule is an international phenomenon. And her brand new book, The High 5 Habit, is already a New York TImes bestseller. Better yet, it’s sparking a major movement of self-love and empowerment.
- If you feel you need additional support, please consult this list of safety, recovery and mental health resources. I’m proud of you for your commitment to self-care.
I can be your coach—anytime, anywhere!
My NEW gabby coaching app makes personal growth easy to access. Get weekly lessons, guided meditations and proven manifesting methods to enhance every area of your life—on your own terms, at your own pace, all in one place.
Transform your life in just 10 minutes a day with:
- Weekly coaching with practical tools that will instantly improve your life
- Quick access to 200+ meditations, affirmations, prompts, lessons and more
- ️️Quarterly challenges to release old patterns and jumpstart new habits
- On-demand access to my best motivational talks
I’ll be your coach to help you manifest your desires and live with an unshakeable sense of inner peace.
This podcast is intended to educate, inspire, and support you on your personal journey towards inner peace. I am not a psychologist or a medical doctor and do not offer any professional health or medical advice. If you are suffering from any psychological or medical conditions, please seek help from a qualified health professional.