We all want to learn how to be more productive, and years ago, I thought endless hustling was the only way! But I’m here to tell you that there is a whole other way to be.
There’s a way of life that allows you to accomplish everything you want while feeling expansive, peaceful and as if you have unlimited time.
But it took me a while to believe that.
I used to overwork to the point of exhaustion. My health was suffering, my relationships were suffering. And frankly, even though I was doing great work in the outside world, on the inside I was burned the f— out.
You see, there was a part of me that believed I had to hustle and push myself to be successful. This part of me was running the show, showing up for every work meeting, every book launch and even in my personal relationships.
Now? That part of me is on a beach somewhere! Imagine her sipping a nonalcoholic piña colada and taking a well-deserved break. She knows that hustling isn’t the way to be more productive.
How did I go from living in a state of chronic stress to being THIS ^^ chill?
marie doesn’t do overwhelm
My friend Marie Forleo, who’s my guest on today’s Dear Gabby, has a similar story of transitioning from burnout to joy and expansion. (You may know Marie as the host of Marie TV, or as the founder of the incredible digital Time Genius course … more on that later!)
Back in 2020, Marie’s doctor looked at her one day after reading her lab results. “Wow, Marie,” the doc said. “I can’t believe you can get out of bed in the morning.” Marie’s adrenals were completely out of whack!
You see, Marie had an internal belief system that she had to push herself, hustle hard and completely burn out in order to keep her successful business afloat.
Then she had an epiphany that completely changed her perspective on how to be productive. That epiphany arrived in the form of four words, which felt like a divine download.
I don’t do overwhelm.—Marie Forleo
After making that her mantra, Marie learned how to make her time work for her. She reclaimed her joy and her health. And she saw her productivity soar … even though she was taking more time off to just “relish in the white space” on her calendar.
how to be more productive
Marie and I aren’t the only ones who have pushed ourselves to the point of burnout, believing that this is how to be productive.
As Marie says in today’s Dear Gabby, “If you struggle with burnout, overwhelm or overwork— or if you have this feeling that you can’t ever stop and you feel guilty when you do—it’s not your fault. You’re not broken, and you’re certainly not weak. You’ve just inherited this very broken and dysfunctional philosophy around time.”
But you can change your philosophy about time, starting today.
in this episode you’ll learn:
- Why two words — “I don’t” — are so effective in changing habits and resisting temptations (There’s science to back this up!)
- How to become more conscious of your beliefs around time … and how to shift those beliefs so you feel less overwhelmed and more inspired
- The #1 thing that holds you back from being productive, even if you’re the most organized person you know
- How to use Marie’s 85 Percent Rule to become more productive (and WAY more relaxed) at work
the paradigm of time
Learning to manage your time, bust through burnout and reclaim your joy isn’t just something that takes place in the physical world.
It’s actually a very spiritual practice!
To learn how to be productive in a way that really serves you, you have to look within, get very clear on your beliefs about time and productivity and become willing to shift those beliefs.
And with this willingness, you can open yourself up to embrace what Marie calls “the new paradigm of time.”
When you live in this new paradigm, you are a time genius! There’s more space in your calendar to do everything you want to do … and you have the energy to do it! You’re kinder to yourself. You’re sleeping well. And you feel more connected to joy and inspiration.
My Big Talk with Marie Forleo will change your relationship with time and give you a brand new understanding of how to be productive. I can’t wait for you to listen!
get more gabby
- Marie Forleo is the New York Times bestselling author of Everything Is Figureoutable and the host of the award-winning weekly show Marie TV. She’s a self-described “multi-passionate” who’s dedicated to helping you become the person you most want to be.
- Want to learn more time management tips from my personal productivity coach? Doors are now open for Marie Forleo’s Time Genius course. This five-day digital course will teach you how to be joyfully productive on your terms. I believe in it so strongly, I’m having my whole team sign up! Click to learn more. Enrollment closes October 13, 2022!
Affiliate Disclosure: I fully believe in the power of Time Genius, given my personal experience with the course content. I may earn a referral fee if you purchase through my link.
- In my book Super Attractor, I share more essential tips for doing less and attracting more.
- If you feel you need additional support, please consult this list of safety, recovery and mental health resources. I’m proud of you for your commitment to self-care.
I can be your coach—anytime, anywhere!
My NEW gabby coaching app makes personal growth easy to access. Get weekly lessons, guided meditations and proven manifesting methods to enhance every area of your life—on your own terms, at your own pace, all in one place.
Transform your life in just 10 minutes a day with:
- Weekly coaching with practical tools that will instantly improve your life
- Quick access to 200+ meditations, affirmations, prompts, lessons and more
- ️️Quarterly challenges to release old patterns and jumpstart new habits
- On-demand access to my best motivational talks
I’ll be your coach to help you manifest your desires and live with an unshakeable sense of inner peace.
This podcast is intended to educate, inspire, and support you on your personal journey towards inner peace. I am not a psychologist or a medical doctor and do not offer any professional health or medical advice. If you are suffering from any psychological or medical conditions, please seek help from a qualified health professional.